OVPL & "Otherwise Make Available" (was RE: Change ot topic,back to OVPL)

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Mon Aug 29 08:19:21 UTC 2005

--On 26 August 2005 13:28 -0700 Lawrence Rosen <lrosen at rosenlaw.com> wrote:

>> And it would also not apply to Jane Random User who simply
>> sends mail via her organization's SMTP server...?
>
> I think, in common parlance, we often say that Jane is "using her
> organization's SMTP server" to process her email. So if Jane is an
> employee, she's part of "You." If Jane is a public user of an ISP ("You")
> that provides SMTP services to the public, then I'd call that an "external
> deployment."
>
> I think we need to distinguish Jane Random User from the Joe Friendly
> Stranger who just happens to send Jane some email.

Oh, *that's* your point - I think you have already covered this in the
OSL because of the definition of "You", and the words "other than You" in
(5).

Note the OSL "You" does not specifically include employees (for the reasons
I mentioned earlier, personally I think that's unnecessary, some disagree,
at least in the OVPL context).

Alex