OVPL & "Otherwise Make Available" (was RE: Change ot topic,back to OVPL)

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Fri Aug 26 18:47:25 UTC 2005

Lawrence Rosen wrote:
>> Is making the output of a program publicly available
>> "external deployment"?
>
> In OSL, no.

Agreed.

>> Is making a program available for remote execution "external
>> deployment"?
>
> In OSL, yes.
>
> Or at least that's what I intended. Do you also read section 5 that way?
> (See www.rosenlaw.com/DRAFT-OSL3.0.pdf.)

Yes, I read it that way.

OK.  Let's return to an earlier comment:

> Nope.  External deployment occurs in the OSL when the software is
> "used by anyone other than You," not when it merely delivers email to
> those people.

Does the prior discussion change this?

I think the OSL would apply to the people responsible for setting up the mail
server at their organization, assuming they were to run SMTP software licensed
under the OSL.  But the OSL would not be applicable to people sending mail *to*
that site.

And it would also not apply to Jane Random User who simply sends mail via her
organization's SMTP server...?

--
-Chuck