External Deployment Re: OVPL & "Otherwise Make Available"

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Fri Aug 26 17:59:09 UTC 2005

Hi Chuck,

On Aug 26, 2005, at 10:49 AM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Ernest Prabhakar wrote:
>> On Aug 26, 2005, at 7:32 AM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
>>> Nope. External deployment occurs in the OSL when the software is
>>> "used by anyone other than You," not when it merely delivers
>>> email to those  people.
>> I wonder if the term "external deployment" is a much clearer
>> synonym  for "distribution" that might help resolve this ambiguity.
>
> Is making the output of a program publicly available "external
> deployment"?
> Is making a program available for remote execution "external
> deployment"?

Rather than attempt to answer that explicitly, I would simply point
out that other OSI approved licenses have used such a term (e.g.,
Larry's "Open Software License"), so the OVPL could merely inherit
that pre-existing community understanding:

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/osl-2.1.php
> 5. External Deployment. The term "External Deployment" means the
> use or distribution of the Original Work or Derivative Works in any
> way such that the Original Work or Derivative Works may be used by
> anyone other than You, whether the Original Work or Derivative
> Works are distributed to those persons or made available as an
> application intended for use over a computer network

If the OVPL's various obligations triggered off a definition of
"external deployment" like this rather than the more ill-defined
"distribution", I suspect this issue would go away.

-- Ernie P.