Change ot topic, back to OVPL

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Aug 25 00:25:36 UTC 2005

Alex,

If you want to distinguish the OVPL from the OSL, at least be careful about
these two points:

1) The OSL is a license, not a contract. If you want a contract out of the
OSL or the OVPL or any other license, you generally need to get assent.
That's what turns it into a contract. So don't distinguish the OSL from
other licenses on that basis. Any license without assent is probably just a
bare license.

2) Defining the term "distribution" is nowadays essential, for the very
reasons you describe. That is why the OSL, in section 5, defines that term
so as to include the concept of "external deployment." But it is *external*
and not *internal* deployment that counts. Does the OVPL maintain that
distinction?

/Larry Rosen