Change ot topic, back to OVPL

Smith, McCoy mccoy.smith at intel.com
Wed Aug 24 23:47:20 UTC 2005

FSF has an FAQ on this point:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePoste
dPublic

-----Original Message-----
From: Lawrence Rosen [mailto:lrosen at rosenlaw.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 4:39 PM
To: 'David Barrett'; license-discuss at opensource.org
Subject: RE: Change ot topic, back to OVPL

> (At least, this is what I was told by MySQL when I asked
> about how widely I could internally use private modifications
> to a MySQL server.
> They told me the GPL allowed me to make and use one server
> without releasing the source, but two or more constitutes
> distribution.)

Such misinformation shouldn't have informed your license. This is not
true.

If you intended to accomplish this, you're past the OSD. You cannot
control
your customers' internal activities or require reporting of their
internal
uses. Disclosure and reciprocal licensing can be demanded only when they
distribute -- which in the open source world is interpreted to mean
*outside
the licensee's organization*.

The confusion about this point is not surprising. Many licenses are
ambiguous or don't address the topic at all. But I know of licenses that
were rejected by OSI because they tried to reach to licensees' internal
activities.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  *  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of "Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and
   Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004)
   [Available also at www.rosenlaw.com/oslbook.htm]