Change ot topic, back to OVPL

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Wed Aug 24 20:07:10 UTC 2005

--On 24 August 2005 12:59 -0700 Brian Behlendorf <brian at collab.net> wrote:

> The real question is whether an "all my derivatives are belong to you"
> clause is in the spirit of OSI, and I've not looked closely enough at the
> OVPL to judge.

I hope the real question is whether they are in the spirit of the OSD, not
the OSI; that aside, I agree.

OVPL aside, I don't think the OSI should be evaluating licenses for
approval based on drafting merit, international applicability, etc. All of
these might be useful if the OSI were to be *recommending* licenses, but
that's not what approval does. All approval does (as I understand it) is
says it follows the open source definition.

Besides, if you want to pick on unenforceable poorly drafted licenses,
there are rather a lot of currently approved licenses which are surely
better targets than the OVPL (in some cases the license authors have
admitted as much).

Alex