Change ot topic, back to OVPL

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Wed Aug 24 16:37:48 UTC 2005

A process question (to whoever is authorized to answer): has Russell
been assigned to be the "case worker" for OVPL?  In other words, is
Russell's approval any more influential than the other board's members,
or is he just expressing his decision early?  Either way I'm thankful
for his involvement, even if personally I disagree with his
recommendations.

Furthermore, am I correct in understanding there are three (or possibly
four) actions required for Russell to recommend OVPL approval:

1) The definitions section's alphabetical order be broken (new
definitions added to the end) in order to preserve maximum similarity
with the CDDL, with the intent to maximize understandability.

2) Section 3 should be appended to the end of the license, thereby
preserving the numbering of all same sections to the CDDL, again with
the intent to maximize understandability.

3) Any changes that might be back-ported to the CDDL must be presented
to the CDDL owner, and some response (yes, no, indifferent) obtained for
all to see.

4) Though not stated, does Russell require that if the CDDL owner
decides to back-port some subset of OVPL changes, the OVPL's approval
will be delayed until the CDDL is updated and re-approved as well?

Is there anything else?

If so, I'm estatic because it means that Russell accepts and endorses
the core value of the OVPL and merely has logistical concerns.  Thus,
the hard fight has already been won.

But on the other hand I'm a bit saddened because, personally, I believe
the first two requests are counterproductive (reduce
understandability).  The third and fourth I can somewhat understand, but
they seem to set a stiff new precedent that at the very least should be
stated in the approval process.

-david