License proliferation committee

Laura Majerus lmajerus at speakeasy.net
Mon Aug 22 08:36:00 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Just to clarifywhat the license-proliferation committe is and is not.  We were chartered because the community at large told OSI that license proliferation was a problem. So we are trying to take some steps to reduce the problem.

The license-proliferation committee is only an advisory committe to the OSI Board. We are absolutely NOT going to make any license "not open source." If a license was approved, it stays approved. What we are doing with tiering is a small step to trying to help people wade through existing licenses.  We want to work on some education efforts after we finish tiering. All are little steps to reduce the issue.

Please subscribe to the discuss list by sending email to  license-proliferation-discuss-subscribe at opensource.org to contribute to the discussion. Minutes of the committee meetings are posted there monthly and on license-proliferation at opensource.org, which you can also subscribe to.

License-discuss (this list) is mainly for license approval discussion, so I'd rather we take substantive discussion of tiering over to the LP discuss list.

Please subscribe and offer your comments and critiques.   As I posted before, the committee members are in no particular order:

Brian Geurts, John Cowan, McCoy Smith, Diane Peters, Cliff Schmidt, Laura Majerus, Karna Nisewaner, Russ Nelson, Damien Eastwood, Eric Raymond, Mitchell Baker, Rishab Aiyer Ghosh and Sanjiva Weerawarana.

Laura Majerus
OSI, Legal Affairs