Bruce Perens rejected from license-proliferation committee.

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Mon Aug 22 21:01:52 UTC 2005

I've fixed the license-proliferation-discuss mailing list.  Replies
sent there.

David Dillard writes:
 > > Rather than judging the process, you should judge the result.
 >
 > That sounds eerily like "the ends justify the means."

No, I'm saying that the means cannot be judged independently of the
ends.  People are saying that they want a more democratic process.  If
the process was more democratic and produced a bad result, people
would not be happy.  The people calling for a more democratic process
wouldn't blame a bad result on the democratic process, though.  They
would say "oh, but you weren't democratic ENOUGH, otherwise you would
have gotten a good result."

In other words, the people who are criticizing us are saying that the
means determine the ends, and if you didn't get good ends, it's
because your means weren't good enough; not that the wrong means were
chosen.

A priori, democracy is held to be good.  This is faith-based reasoning.

--
--my blog is at     blog.russnelson.com         | with some experience
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |     you know what to do.