Bruce Perens rejected from license-proliferation committee.

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Mon Aug 22 14:44:46 UTC 2005

--On 22 August 2005 10:35 -0400 Robin 'Roblimo' Miller <robin at roblimo.com>
wrote:

>> Some of the folks I consulted felt that this issue should be brought to
>> license-discuss and broad public participation, rather than a small and
>> limited list.
>>

> I was not consulted, but I agree that broad public participation is better
> than closed-door meetings.

Inevitably one has to chose committees at some point for certain tasks
(drafting etc.) and inevitably that sometimes involves choosing a limited
number of people from a larger number of people who feel they are each
best-placed to be on (though sometimes one has the opposite problem...).
Normally the way to ensure everyone ends up happy is to chose people using an
open and transparent process, after a call for nominations, and open
discussion. That doesn't mean "vote by mailing list", that means that
whatever process is followed should be open and transparent. If this happens,
those who complain of not being admitted in general come over as whingers. If
it doesn't happen, then I'd suggest the process is flawed not least because
it's open to attack.

I am not sufficiently familiar with events to know what happened here
(perhaps someone could elucidate), but I'd like to know.

Alex