Bruce Perens rejected from license-proliferation committee.

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Sun Aug 21 16:46:24 UTC 2005

Folks,

I've tried diplomatic approaches to this for some months, and have been
met with something between resistance and naievete. So, it's time to
tell you about it.

Some time ago, I applied to be on the license proliferation committee. I
eventually got a form letter from Laura Majerus saying that they had too
many qualified people. When addressed through Mike Tiemann, Laura simply
repeated her previous mantra.

Most of you will realize that I am uniquely qualified as the main author
of the guidelines that OSI now seeks to interpret, and someone who has
assisted many businesses and legal professionals in working within those
guidlines since then. Two people with experience similar to mine but
less in duration were admitted to the committee. There are a few legal
professionals admitted. All others admitted are extremely worthy
individuals, and have been working very hard at this, but I can't really
say they are more experienced.

I've discussed this with a number of OSI insiders and professionals who are close to the problem. All said the same thing: having offered, you never should have been rejected.

And thus, I really have to question the process.

    Thanks

    Bruce Perens