OVPL and the OSI Board on Thursday

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. roddixon at cyberspaces.org
Fri Aug 19 21:26:00 UTC 2005

I agree with Alex.

Since titles, short phrases, and formats are not copyrightable in the U.S.,
what modifications oe type of modifications to a preexisting  open source
license may properly be viewed as representing an "original work of
authorship" (i.e. Qualify as a derivative work)?  I suspect most open
source licenses qualify as Modifications lacking sufficient originality to
meet the standard for a derivative work.  Of course, a better question is
whether most open source licenses qualify for copyright in the first place.
 The issue is somewhat controversial.  I am doubtful that a boilerplate
license (i.e. A template) would be viewed as copyrightable by most courts.
More to the point, even if one could successfully persuade a credulous
judge that an ostensibly boilerplate license is sufficiently original to
merit copyright protection, the scope of copyright protection would be
razor-thin indeed.  Although I am open to being convinced otherwise, I have
not read a persuasive argument to the contrary yet.

Rod

Rod Dixon
www.cyberspaces.org