Why do you need copy-back?

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon Apr 25 17:21:31 UTC 2005

Chris Zumbrunn wrote:

> Yes, in the case of the ASP model, but also in the case of
> inhouse-deployment.

But I think we're getting to the point of diminishing returns here -
in-house development where the developers pay a higher price to maintain
their changes and merge them with new development that is going on
outside. One must balance the degree of hardship to many people against
the probability of capturing a little more development from one or two
people.

> Or if the product is embedded in a proprietary larger work (or in
> general modified and distributed without source code), which the
> Copyback license would allow.

The license attempts to make up for a weakness in the license :-)

    Thanks

    Bruce