Copy-Back License draft for discussion

Chris Zumbrunn chris at czv.com
Sun Apr 24 09:58:14 UTC 2005

I followed the discussions in the various threads sparked by the
proposed Open Vendor licenses.

The different view points on topics such as special grants to the
initial developer and license asymmetry made me think that a discussion
of the Copy-Back License at http://cbl.czv.com/ could be constructive
in this context.

The CBL was a "for fun" attempt to come up with a project-neutral
license template that is as free and non-verbose as possible but has
what I call a "copy-back" nature as opposed to copy-left or copy-right.

It's basically a template version of a BSD style license with the
addition of clause 5 which asks for modifications and extensions to be
shared back to the original contributor. It stays short of burdening
the licensee with additional copy-left or copy-right restrictions. But
the copy-back is a strong copy-back... How much copy-back is legal
(compatible with copyright law) and how much copy-back is still "free"?

chris at czv.com  +41 329 41 41 41
Chris Zumbrunn Ventures - http://www.czv.com/
Internet Application Technology - Reduced to the Maximum