Best licence for my software?

Arnoud Engelfriet galactus at stack.nl
Sun Apr 17 20:45:32 UTC 2005

Matthew Seth Flaschen wrote:
> I know you see it like that.  But say, you offer license A to everyone,
> and license B to only university students.  Then assume license B has
> "better" terms[meaning less copyleft]. You are discriminating against
> the non-university people by not given them "better terms", so license
> B is discriminative, and therefore non-opensource. It's just a
> question of perspective.

Surely this is a standard case of dual licensing? One license for
one group, another for a second group; and one of the licenses is
open source. Does it make a difference whether the other license
is "academic use only" or "payment required"?

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself