asymmetry?

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Thu Apr 14 00:22:00 UTC 2005

Michael R. Bernstein  quotation:
> > From: Joel West <svosrp at gmail.com>
> > So a license that enables and allows forking is good? I thought
> > that was the whole point of the GPL, to prevent forking.
>
> *All* OSD compliant licenses allow forking.

	In fact, one could consider allowing forking to be the single
most important necessary condition for a license to be considered Open
Source.  Many licenses put conditions on the ability to fork, and the
benevolence or odiousness of these conditions is where most of the
debate occurs.

	And yet, the ability for anyone and everyone to fork is the
primary goal of an OSD-compliant license.

--
We would do the world a great favor if we just deleted            Nick Moffitt
all software projects that described themselves as          nick at teh.entar.net