asymmetry?

Danese Cooper danese at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 23:11:09 UTC 2005

The explicit concern that was raised by Groklaw during drafting of
CDDL (which copied the MPL in this regard) was that somehow Sun was
going to allow one of our partners to insert IP into original code we
might release under CDDL and the community would not be aware...that
essentially an IP "trap" might be laid.  Paranoid...absolutely!  But
I've heard similar conspiracy theories over the years implicating many
a large IP holder.  The criticism was that the community was expected
to believe it was safe to play (implicit warranty as you suggest)
without any real representation of safety from the original
contributor.  And anyway its another example of how simply setting up
symmetrical terms would balm community fears (unfounded or no).

Danese