asymmetry?

Danese Cooper danese at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 22:46:30 UTC 2005

Hi all,

On the subject of asymmetry...There is an assymetry in the warranty of
provenance of many existing F/OSS licenses.  Original contributor is
typically not required to make any sort of representation about their
ownership of contributions nor about IP embedded in their
contributions, while subsequent contributors often *are* required to
make such representations.  In a project such as Apache where everyone
starts on an even footing and the seed code is derived from a 3rd
source, this is a shared risk but in a typical "corporate" project the
asymmetry is concerning, especially in cases where code might be
encumbered (intentionally or unintentionally) by large IP holders who
might in future find offensive enforcement actions to be an attractive
strategy.

Danese