OSI's war on corporate licenses

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Tue Apr 12 23:30:13 UTC 2005

Chuck Swiger wrote:

> It seems to me that the mindset behind these changes is one which sees
> something wrong with people using open source software in proprietary
> ways, or using proprietary software together with open source software
> (ie, linking nv or ATI drivers into a Linux kernel, or Apple being
> able to ship Python with GNU readline support, or use gnutar and
> dselect or apt for package management rather than pax).

I doubt it is OSI's intent to condemn licenses that allow you create
proprietary derivative works. Russ' complaint was that a lot of MPL
derivatives exist. Asymetrical licenses are a problem, and some of them
are MPL derived.

Perhaps what they are trying to say is that there should be one
canonical version of the MPL and that it should not be asymetrical.

    Thanks

    Bruce