OSI's war on corporate licenses

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Apr 12 05:41:47 UTC 2005

Quoting Mitchell Baker (Mitchell at mozilla.org):

> I also find it odd that the community of people and projects that uses
> the MPL gets so little respect from OSI.  Many projects, both small
> and large use the MPL.  Many organizations, commerical or not, have
> reviewed the MPL and found it acceptable for their participation.  Why
> is OSI is such a hurry to diss it?   I would have thought that OSI
> would proceed very slowly and cautiously to label a diverse, content
> and productive community a failure.

Indeed, I think you (somewhat in contrast to the post you were
responding to) make a good point, here.  As you suggest, there's nothing
inherently asymmetrical about the treatment of rights in MPL 1.0 or 1.1
-- and its per-module model has been innovative and useful.

I hope the OSI statement's singling out MPL as "worthy experiment that
has failed" was a spur-of-the-moment thing and that the matter will be
further contemplated.