Official License Anti-Proliferation policy?

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Mon Apr 11 23:06:10 UTC 2005

Dear OSI,

Is this for real, or just media rumor-mongering?  Not that I
particularly mind either way, but I'd like to be sure. :-)

> The Open Source Initiative board on Wednesday adopted a new way of
> approving open-source licenses, as well as a new classification
> system for existing licensees, at its meeting at the Open Source
> Business Conference in San Francisco.

> From now on, the group says, "Approved licenses must meet three new
> criteria of being a) nonduplicative, b) clear and understandable,
> and c) reusable."
> At the same time, to deal with the small mountain of already
> existing open-source licenses, the OSI will classify them as
> falling under one of three tiers: "preferred,"
> "ordinary" ("approved") or "deprecated."

Sorry if this forces anybody's hand, but I wanted to raise the issue
here first to get the official response if possible, since the story
is already circulating.

Thanks,
-- Ernie P.