Proposed new OSD item - patent termination

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Sat Apr 9 17:29:36 UTC 2005

Matthew Garrett wrote:

>You seem to be implying the issue is the use of /any/ patents against the open source community.

This is due to concerns regarding the likely topics of Open Source
development.

VLSI designs are already software. They are programmed into a gate-array
in fundamentaly the same way that we program a computer. They are
presently the topic of a vigorous Open Source development. Thus OpenCores.

Signal-processing designs, formerly in the domain of hardware, are also
software. Thus, we have GNU Radio.

Three dimensional CAD designs, potentially realizable in tangible
objects, are today exchanged as Open Source, and there is an Open Source
program for controlling a milling machine.

So, yes, what falls out is that we will probably want to guard against
enforcement of patents against Open Source designs, whether they are
designs for software programs or teapots.

    Thanks

    Bruce