Proposed new OSD item - patent termination

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Sat Apr 9 13:49:32 UTC 2005

This provision doesn't seem to be in the general interest of Open Source
software because it would prevent an Open Source license from
terminating when patent action is brought regarding other Open Source
software.

I would much rather see it done the way Larry once proposed (which he
should have stuck with IMO), which was that if you brought a patent
action regarding any software with an Open Source license, the licenses
for other Open Source software would terminate. Larry backed down on
this because of opposition from HP. Given the way that IBM and HP,
purportedly our friends, are lobbying for increases in software
patenting that will do serious damage to Open Source, we need to think
about this sort of defense.

In addition, the patent policies we generally are able to negotiate with
standards organizations include the sort of reciprocity that you object
to below. The grants to make royalty-free use of patents in the
implementation of a standard terminate if the other party brings a
patent suit.

In general, nobody wants to make a patent grant to a party that is
bringing patent suits against them.

    Thanks

    Bruce