A prototype License Wizard up and running

Brendan Scott lists at opensourcelaw.biz
Fri Apr 8 22:18:37 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm new to the list.  I'm a lawyer based in Sydney Australia.  Justin Clift pointed me to this discussion.

I think you need to determine what you want to achieve from a wizard.  Depending on how it is implemented, a wizard could have the effect of either consolidating licence usage (by directing people to, or only dealing with 3-5 annointed licences), or diffusing it (by attempting to give equal airplay to each of them).

I think each of these involves a bit of second guessing what the licensor wants to achieve, the second option especially so.

I think the CC wizards are a little easier conceptually because they have structured and unified their licences around a couple of simple concepts.  This is not true of open source licences.

Brendan