License Wizard

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Apr 8 19:52:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005/04/08 (MDT), <bobyrne at statesoft.ie> wrote:

> It seems to me that creating a complete and closed tree of questions
> is a horrendously complex task, and will be difficult to maintain as
> new licenses come on stream.

I agree. I do not expect OSI configuration of the wizard to cover all
licenses. It should cover all common license *use cases* instead. It
should be oriented to typical license "choosers", not license "scholars".

> Instead come up with a classification system with several different
> categories, each license rated on each category, and a linear set of
> questions asking the users opinion on each category.

"Linear" is probably too rigid (and would not be a significant
simplification
 from coding point of view; it is easy to sort a list of questions).
Otherwise, I agree that grouping licenses in categories would help a lot
when configuring the wizard.

Alex.