License Wizard; previously Re: An explanation of the difficulty of solving licenseproliferation in one sentence

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Apr 8 05:28:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005/04/07 (MDT), <jclift at digitaldistribution.com> wrote:

>> To simplify things, I would hard-code that each question changes the
>> relative weight of one or more known licenses and a set of questions
>> to  ask next. The license(s) with higher resulting weights would be
>> used for  the final recommendation, possibly along with some short
>> explanation about  each license. It would be cool if the decision logic
>> would be explained to  the user as well (see my earlier post for an
>> example of a dialog).
>
> My concern with this is that it sounds less than straightforward to
> implement in a timely fashion.  More of a "version 2" kind of thing.

Please see my "wizard design" email for how the above can be supported
with simple/straightforward code (IMO). The fancy "recommendation
explanation" part may take longer but, still, I suspect we would spend a
lot more time debating the questions and actions (i.e., wizard
configuration) than you would spend writing wizard 1.x code :-). And
that's how it should be, I guess.

Thanks,

Alex.