A prototype License Wizard up and running

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Fri Apr 8 04:20:20 UTC 2005

Bruce Perens scripsit:

> You can actually get this down to three licenses, with terms on
> derivative works classified as:

I thought of that, but GPL-compatibility is an issue to a lot of people.

> *Enforced sharing:* Terms must apply to all derivative works, and the
> license terms are such that callers of the code are considered
> derivative. This is what Rosen calls a /Reciprocal/ license in his book.

This is the FSF's view of the GPL, but not Rosen's view of it.

> *Gift:* Rosen calls this an /Academic /license. No significant
> requirements other than attribution.

Agreed.

> *Share-Gift mix*: Sharing terms apply to a separable work such as a
> library, but not to a larger derivative work.

The OSL looks like the GPL, but Rosen's interpretation puts it in
effect in the same class as the MPL/CPL/CDDL.

> Having selected licenses for those three sets of terms, you can apply
> them to all of these common business purposes for Open Source. I have
> stated them as /goals,/ rather than the way you stated them which would
> be difficult for people to understand.

It depends on whether the audience is business people or developers.
I was aiming at developers, being one myself.  There is also no reason
why there should be only one wizard.

> Sharing mandiatory*: the GPL. I was going to try Rosen's OSL for this,
> but Rosen insists that the OSL would not disallow a proprietary
> application from using an OSL library and I am currently looking for a
> tightly-binding license as an alternative to the GPL. Any suggestions?

See, the wording won't help you.  It's a matter of whether you interpret
works which include library works as derivative works or not, and that's
in the purview of the law, not the license.

John Cowan                                jcowan at reutershealth.com
At times of peril or dubitation,          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Perform swift circular ambulation,        http://www.reutershealth.com
With loud and high-pitched ululation.