A prototype License Wizard up and running

Justin Clift jclift at digitaldistribution.com
Fri Apr 8 04:08:49 UTC 2005

John Cowan wrote:
> This is an extremely simple, RESTful, non-magical License Wizard.  Please
> comment.
>
> http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/floss

Wow.  Good turnaround time.  :)

That's the right sort of concept, and keeps things nice and straightforward.

It's definitely the kind of thing I was thinking of.  Integrated into
the opensource.org site of course, with appropriate graphics, supporting
text, licenses, and so on, to make it worthwhile.

Chuck Swiger pointed out that your 2nd question in it probably isn't
right, as it asks people a GPL mentioning question straight off:

"Do you want to ensure that your code is only used in GPLed programs?"

For our target market, new or new-ish to open source licenses, it's
probably not good to have a question worded quite like this.  For them
to answer it either way requires them to already have some idea
(accurate or not) of the GPL.

Perhaps a better method at this stage will be to roughly group the
existing licenses and then figure out how the decision tree should be
structured around that?  (It's possible that will be the reverse order too)

Grouping wise, what have we got?

  + GPL compatible
  + GPL incompatible
  + BSD style

  + Licenses with patent considerations in them
  + Licenses without patent considerations in them

What other groupings should we have?  (Sorry for the above short list, I
need coffee.  ;-> )

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
Executive Director
Digital Distribution Global Training Services Pty. Ltd.