License Wizard; previously Re: An explanation of the difficulty of solving licenseproliferation in one sentence

Justin Clift jclift at digitaldistribution.com
Fri Apr 8 03:35:53 UTC 2005

Laura Majerus wrote:
> I applaud the enthusiasm behind this effort, but I have some questions about implementation.

No worries.  Your input and direction in this matter is much valued. :)

> 1) I'm unclear what the plans are for this wizard when it's done.  Do you want to put it on the OSI site? Have it hosted elsewhere?

 From my thinking, it's for putting on the OSI site to assist making the
selection of licensing simpler to get the hang of.

Have you taken a look through the way the Creative Commons website does
it?  Going through their wizard with an attitude of "I'm a content
publisher and I want to publish my stuff with this, but am not sure how"
really helps.  It's reasonably well thought out.

> 2) I want to point out that the CONTENT of the wizard is incredibly important and that the questions and answers may constitute legal advice.  I think that the OSI board needs to vet the content (or help provide it).

Absolutely agreed.  We can build a framework and all, and even though we
may put disclaimers all over it we still want it to be as useful as
possible.

What do you suggest?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
Executive Director
Digital Distribution Global Training Services Pty. Ltd.