"viral" (was RE: Licensing options for firmware)

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Thu Apr 7 14:30:27 UTC 2005

begin  Benjamin Rossen  quotation:
> On Thursday 7 April 2005 13:39, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> > I've heard it said that the term means "'Viral' as in 'marketing',
> > not 'viral' as in *cough cough*." That's a roundabout way of
> > saying, "hateful in another sense."
>
> "Viral" is not a synonym for "hateful in another sense." Originally
> it was used in English having the Latin meaning of 'poison'.

	Okay, I say we keep arguing denotation vs connotation past
each other for at least two more weeks.  I just can't get enough of
these useless flame wars!

	After we're done with "virus" can we move on to abortion or
maybe which Linux distro is best?  Feel free to sprinkle liberally
with gun control debates!

--
The insipid neologism "blog" appears to mean little more        Nick Moffitt
than a Web site that *actually* gets updated, as opposed  nick at teh.entar.net