"viral" (was RE: Licensing options for firmware)

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Wed Apr 6 17:56:21 UTC 2005

--On 06 April 2005 11:15 -0600 "Anderson, Kelly" <KAnderson at dentrix.com>
wrote:

> As a relative newbie to the open source concept, I actually appreciate
> the term viral as I find it more descriptive of what the GPL is all
> about than the more obscure term "copyleft".

The least perjorative and most accurate term is "reciprocal license".
IE "If I license my stuff to you on these terms, you agree to license
your stuff to anyone else on the same terms".

I think copyleft (as a term) is also problematic (it implies the
opposite of copyright, whereas it actually relies UPON copyright) but
each to his own.

Alex