Licensing options for firmware

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Wed Apr 6 04:52:18 UTC 2005

Thanks - I'm reading over that paper now.  Lots of good information, and
food for thought.

What's interesting is that these Japanese radio manufacturers seem to care
very little about what their users here in the US want.  All of the
innovations I've seen them come up with in recent years have been because of
domestic demand - if something spills over into this market, it's just a
byproduct of what they're doing there.

That might get more interesting when I get the hardware done and start
working on improving the protocols - I've already got a development effort
under way (all BSD-licensed stuff), but it's mostly stalled for want of good
hardware.  But the protocol I'm working on is an internationalized thing,
with support for Unicode and such - the current protocol is very US-centric,
based around 7-bit ASCII and English units of measure.  If I start
supporting a Japanese-friendly alternative that runs on my hardware, I
expect they'll take a whole lot more interest.

I've had very little contact with these companies, but from what I've seen
there's quite a difference in corporate attitude and culture compared to the
US and probably Europe.  Perhaps they suffer even more from the 'not
invented here' syndrome?  Americans like to do a lot of brainstorming and
constructive criticism... seems like Japanese like to quietly develop their
ideas independently, and take criticism personally.  Or maybe I'm
over-generalizing.  I suppose it wouldn't hurt to do some reading on the
subject.  I tend to think in terms of what an American business would do,
and it's probably not fair to apply the same assumptions to foreign
companies.

As far as blatant IP theft goes, I think I'd be more worried about China
than Japan.  I might wind up having hardware produced there (for now it'll
all be local), and I've heard horror stories about bootleg units getting
sold out of the back doors of factories.  Even the big guys have gotten bit
by that - I think Nintendo had a chip fab selling their cartridge ROMs on
the black market some years back.  THAT I'm not going to be able to fight.

So... I think my strategy for now is going to be to look into the
dual-licensing some more, and see how I might discourage wholesale
assimilation of my work.  I'd like to be able to label it as true Open
Source, but to tell the truth, I don't think that's done much for my current
BSD-licensed product.  I don't think a non-commercial clause would have cost
me any sales, and I don't seem to have lost any to competitors using the
code.  At least, that I know of.  Granted, this is a far more complicated
project, and will be a larger target.  We'll see...

Thanks again for the excellent information.  Looks like I'd better start
reading.

Scott