compatibility and the OSD

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Sep 29 17:49:06 UTC 2004

Chuck Swiger scripsit:

> The CNRI Python license starts with:
>
> "BY CLICKING ON "ACCEPT" WHERE INDICATED BELOW, OR BY COPYING,
> INSTALLING OR  OTHERWISE USING PYTHON 1.6, beta 1 SOFTWARE, YOU ARE
> DEEMED TO HAVE AGREED TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE
> AGREEMENT."
>
> ...and clause 2 states "...provided, however, that CNRIs License
> Agreement is retained in Python 1.6b1, alone or in any derivative
> version prepared by Licensee."
>
> Doesn't the Python Software Foundation License, which corresponds to
> python-2.x, include the "ACCEPT" button from the CNRI Python v1.6b1
> license?

IMHO no (IANAL, TINLA, as usual).  Clause 2 merely requires that the
*text* of the license be retained in derivative works such as Python 2.x.
The SHOUTED paragraph expressly applies to Python 1.6 beta 1, and there
is no indication that it is inherited by derivative works.

In my view, then, the Python license is effective only down to the
end of the PSL part (clause 8), and everything after that is mere
humble-bumble that can't be deleted but has no legal effect.

--
John Cowan       http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        <jcowan at reutershealth.com>
                Clear all so!  `Tis a Jute.... (Finnegans Wake 16.5)