compatibility and the OSD

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 28 23:26:24 UTC 2004

Quoting Marius Amado Alves (amado.alves at netcabo.pt):

> I myself did open source and *used the term* long before 1997.

You know, it's more than possible.  I'll gladly stipulate that, over
the long period that both software and the English language have both
been in existence, sundry folk all over the world have probably banged
the two words together numerous times.  (I might be more impressed by
citations, though.)

But the fact is that open source as a coherent concept _was_ an OSI
invention.

> Actually the SDC group is now tending to drop the term.

Thank you for setting this in motion.  We'll look forward to that front
page being changed.

> But unfortunately one factor is a desire of separation for the kind of
> fanatism expressed here.

You're of course welcome to your opinion that OSI's sticking to its core
concepts and not changing them for your convenience constitutes
fanaticism.  I am glad to extend that opinion the gravest of respect,
warmest and friendliest regard, and best wishes.  As does Chuck Swiger,
I'm sure.

> The spirit of open source is: the right to fork.

...and to freely use.

Attempting to tell OSI what open source is seems unpromising -- even
though of course I extend that initiative the gravest of respect,
warmest and friendliest regard, and best wishes.