For Approval: Academic Citing License

Evan Prodromou evan at wikitravel.org
Tue Sep 28 20:39:23 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 10:48 +0200, Lasse Reichstein Nielsen wrote:

> > Evan Prodromou wrote:
> >> ... Some CC licenses say that you can't distribute
> >> or perform the work or derivative works for 'commercial advantage' --
> >> not that you can't _use_ them for commercial advantage.
> >
> > Duh? Perform is not use? I'm a composer. What other use of my work can
> > there be other than perform it?
>
> Performance is use, Evan Prodromou didn't say otherwise. It's just that
> not all uses are performances in the terms of Copyright law.

Yes. It's a mistake on my part to use the imprecise short phrase "no
restrictions on use". It'd be more accurate to say "no restrictions on
use _not covered by copyright law_."

In the realm of computer programs the difference between reading or
executing a program and copying it are fairly clear, which is probably
why we use the word "use" as shorthand for uses that aren't reserved to
the copyright holder.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan at wikitravel.org>