compatibility and the OSD

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Mon Sep 27 03:00:21 UTC 2004

Rick Moen writes:
 > My impression is that the Board cannot be, for reasons externally
 > imposed upon it, arbitrary in criteria used for its certification
 > mark and program (which operates as per regulations over trademark law).

Yes, but it's not even as mechanistic as you say.  For example, we
don't approve licenses which limit use.  You can make any changes you
want to a program, so long as you don't publish them.  The OSD says
nothing about use of a program; as befits its origin, it only talks
about distribution of a program.  It doesn't even require that you
include the source of an open source binary.  On the other hand, it's
hardly arbitrary to deny use of the certification mark to somebody who
isn't distributing the source of their open source binary.

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Violence never solves
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | problems, it just changes