compatibility and the OSD

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sun Sep 26 05:28:09 UTC 2004

> Am I right in my reasoning here? If so, how could Sun have designed a
> license to
> prevent this?

Yes, you're right. But that's how open source works. You have to permit
forking although you can condition it on reciprocal conditions. It makes no
sense in open source to ask "how can I prevent forking?"

I'm not suggesting that companies have an obligation to release their
software under an open source license. In the case of Java, Sun has thus far
refused to do so, and that is their right. When and if they're ready to
conform to open source principles, they know well how to design an
appropriate license, and that open source license won't prevent any other
company, including Microsoft, from doing what you described.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482