For Approval: Allegro giftware license

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Sep 24 22:52:45 UTC 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Elias Pschernig wrote:

> The above user suggested to change the license to "public domain"
> instead.. but I can't find that in the list of OSI licenses.

You can get a lawyer-friendly Public Domain dedication from the
Creative Commons web site: http://creativecommons.org/. They can even
register your dedication at no charge. A Public Domain dedication is
not on the OSI licenses list because it is not a license.

As with virtually any legal document, enforceability of Public Domain
dedications have been questioned. You can search this list archive for
a few examples.  When they add a few hours to the day, I might submit
a "Public Domain or whatever license you want" dedication/license
combo for OSI approval.

HTH,

Alex.