compatibility and the OSD

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Thu Sep 23 19:40:47 UTC 2004

Hi Bob,

On Sep 23, 2004, at 11:44 AM, Bob Scheifler wrote:
>> Care to share *why* you're concerned about incompatibility?
>
> Because others are. :-) I want to understand how and why a particular
> view of compatibility, if one attempted to enforce it in a license,
> would conflict with the OSD, both for my personal edification, and
> so that I can explain it to others (not all of whom will be satisfied
> with being told merely that it's in conflict, or merely that it's
> counter
> to the culture so who cares what the answer is).

I can sympathize, and I suspect you may be playing devil's advocate to
make your point (rather than actually being a devil :-).

The real answer is that Open Source is about the right to take over
control and maintain something yourself.   That implicitly (sometimes
explicitly) includes the right to fork, which is incompatible with any
attempt to enforce compatibility.

The Open Source response (if you will allow me a rhetorical flourish)
is that the solution to the compatibility problem is even more freedom.
   Make it as easy as possible for customers to both a) recognize the
incompatibility, and b) obtain a compatible version  (hmm, could one
require distribution of a compatible binary alongside an incompatible
one?).   The assumption is that if compatibility is in the best
interest of the end user, *and* you give them the right tools, that
compatible versions will outcompete incompatible ones.

That is, try to find ways to empower the good guys, rather than just
torturing the bad guys.

My $.02.
--Ernie P.
IANAL, TINLA, blah blah blah