compatibility and the OSD

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Wed Sep 22 19:57:41 UTC 2004

Perhaps more importantly, I believe the OSD is intended to reflect the
"general understanding" of the open source community.  I  think that
any license that prevents the distribution of modified binaries (even
conditionally) would be considered not merely obnoxious, but entirely
contrary to the spirit of open source.

It might be "shared source" or something like that, but not what I at
least would consider Open Source.   If I as a recipient can never
repurpose the software for my ends, then to me its no different than a
commercial source license.

-- Ernie P.
IANAL, TINLA, etc., etc.