compatibility and the OSD

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Tue Sep 21 16:51:14 UTC 2004

Hi Chuck,

On Sep 21, 2004, at 9:41 AM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Ernest Prabhakar wrote:
> [ ... ]
>> Let's consider an extreme case:
>> A. "You may do anything you want with the source code, but you may
>> only redistribute in source form.   You are not allowed to
>> redistribute any binaries compiled from this source code."
>> I ask the list: would that conflict with the OSD? Sure, its
>> obnoxious, but is it compliant?
>
> It is not compliant.  It violates OSD #2:  "The program must include
> source code, and must allow distribution in source code as well as
> compiled form."
>
> That 'as well as' clause means that redistributing compiled code must
> be permissible for a license to be OSD-compliant.  Besides which, for
> interpreted code, the source is directly executable.
>
>> Compare with:
>> B. "You may do anything you want with the source code, including
>> redistributing modified versions freely.   However, if you distribute
>> a modified binary, it must be accompanied with all of the original
>> source code under this same license."
>> Again, would that conflict with the OSD?
>
> This is fine; the rest of OSD #2 covers this case.

Okay, good. So to Bob's most recent point, let's try C:

C. You may:
	a) redistribute the unmodified source code freely under the terms of
this license
	b) create binary versions of the original source code, which can be
redistributed freely
	c) create modified versions, which can only be distributed in source
form

How does that rate?

-- Ernie P.