compatibility and the OSD

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Tue Sep 21 16:32:16 UTC 2004

Hi Bob,

On Sep 21, 2004, at 9:15 AM, Bob Scheifler wrote:
>> It seems to imply you can't make non-compatible binary distributions.
>
> Yes, the intent is to only permit distribution of compatible binaries.
> (That doesn't preclude creation of incompatible binaries.) In effect
> I'm trying to figure out here if requiring distribution of derivative
> works to be in source form violates OSD#3 (or some other part of the
> OSD).

Ah, well that seems problematic, though I'm not sure which OSD term it
conflicts with.

Let's consider an extreme case:

A. "You may do anything you want with the source code, but you may only
redistribute in source form.   You are not allowed to redistribute any
binaries compiled from this source code."

I ask the list:  would that conflict with the OSD? Sure, its
obnoxious, but is it compliant?

Compare with:

B. "You may do anything you want with the source code, including
redistributing modified versions freely.   However, if you distribute a
modified binary, it must be accompanied with all of the original source
code under this same license."

Again, would that conflict with the OSD?

-- Ernie P.
IANAL, INWAL, but I once was a physicist, so I enjoy
Gedanken-experiments.