compatibility and the OSD

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue Sep 21 15:28:08 UTC 2004

Bob Scheifler writes:
 > For the avoidance of doubt (I hope), here's a more fleshed out license
 > (IANAL, this is still a sketch). Does the Simplistic Compatibility License
 > conflict with the OSD?

Yes, because one of the modifications that a license has to allow
people to make is a transformation from source to executable form.
Daniel J. Bernstein prohibits distribution of modified binaries,
therefore his otherwise excellent code (qmail, djbdns, daemontools,
ucspi-tcp, etc.) is not open source.

It would be nice to know exactly what problem you're trying to solve.
It sure looks to me like you really ought to be using the Apache
license and a certification mark.  If it's compatible, you get to use
the trademark; if not, then not.  You can also require payment of a
fee for the certification process, which leads to a reasonable
business model for people with strong (cough Java cough) brands.

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Violence never solves
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | problems, it just changes