For Approval: mindmason license (MML)

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at mibsoftware.com
Sat Sep 4 20:06:30 UTC 2004

John Cowan wrote:
> Forrest J. Cavalier III scripsit:
>

>>My questions:
>>  What happens to the "offer of contract" when the original author is
>>  deceased?  Between what parties is the contract formed then?
>

> Whoever inherits the IP, presumably.  Of course, the heir could
> revoke the offer, but then in a permission-based license the
> author or the heir could revoke that too.

Don't you agree that is an OSD conflict?

The "offer of contract to any party" originated from the author.  Based on
the license text, the intent is that when I redistribute the software,
I am communicating that same offer of contract. I cannot bestow the
necessary rights myself.

It is my understanding that it is impossible to make an offer of contract
perpetual, hence the OSD conflict.

(I have my doubts that the MML passes specificity and time-limit
tests for contracts, not to mention consideration tests, but it hardly
seems necessary to argue those points when I see a more direct conflict with
the OSD.)