For Approval: TURKIX PUBLIC LICENSE

Zvezdan Petkovic zvezdan at CS.WM.EDU
Tue Oct 26 18:34:47 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 08:59:58PM +0300, Emre Sokullu wrote:
> And i don't see that this license is inconsistent with any of the open
> source definitions. Everyone may use it with commercial or
> non-commercial purposes (in my case, a company may use my web hosting
> panel for its own dedicated servers forexample), there's no limit in
> the scope of the license.

Look carefully at the second sentence above.
Everyone may use it with [for] commercial...

> It just brings an extra condition (services using this Product should
> stay free) (so that forexample Sourceforge users may use my web
> hosting panel) that protects both users' and developers' rights.

Now look above and tell me what kind of a commercial service is free.
It's an oxymoron.  It's either commercial or free. Not both.
By this you are basically restricting commercial use.
And that is why your license is not open source.

> Am i wrong? Do i misunderstand something? Or do i misunderstand the
> whole picture :) But i really think that this license does not break the
> open source definitions and if i'm wrong so that there should be sth
> missing in open source definitions itself, that should be added or
> underlined more strongly. (no i don't want to be arrogant, i just speak
> in my understanding, if i'm wrong you can always correct me)

You are obviously in denial (if not wrong). :-)
You have to make a cut.
Make your product free, and live with the fact that some people will
make the money off it, without getting back to you with the
contribution (which would be an honest thing to do).
Or make your product closed, and live with the fact that most of the
people will not look at it because there will be a free one somewhere
around. :-)

It's a tough choice I admit, but that's it.

Best regards,
--
Zvezdan Petkovic <zvezdan at cs.wm.edu>
http://www.cs.wm.edu/~zvezdan/