For Approval: TURKIX PUBLIC LICENSE

Arnoud Engelfriet galactus at stack.nl
Tue Oct 26 14:16:31 UTC 2004

Emre Sokullu wrote:
> 2.d Usage of this Product for commercial or non-commercial purposes are
> permitted, as long as you provide full free access to services using
> this Product.

I think I still have the same objection. You are not allowing
others to profit from the software in a particular situation.
With open source, others have the right to make money using
software you wrote. The point is to keep the source open. That's
what the freedom is about. Not "free" as in "only if you don't
charge", but as in "keep the source available".

> This means whether you support your services by things like advertorial
> programs or not, as long as you do not charge anything for services
> based on this Product, you will be able to use the Program, freely
> modify it and distribute it under the same license.

And I do not think your section 2d above means what you say here.
Besides, what is "full free access"?

> > The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in
> > a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the
> > program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic
> > research.
>
> This license permits you to use the covered Programs in any field you
> want. Take the example of phpBB.

I want to start a service by which I offer message boards for
other people's websites. They can get my service by paying a
nice fee so that I make a profit. That's perfectly ordinary
business, but it's not allowed. Hence I conclude this field of
business is restricted.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself