looking for a license

mkr diab at gmx.li
Fri Oct 22 20:37:09 UTC 2004

Hi List,

I am currently looking for a license for a few software projects I am
planning to code in the future.

The first requirement to this license is to link commercial conditions
with elements of Open Source or even Free Software.

Therefore, I want to have the following requirements:

1. Distribution
Everyone should be able to distribute the software for any cost he
wants, if this distribution complies with this:
  . recipient gets a copy of the license
  . recipient gets informed about the original developer
  . recipient gets the source code if he wants (for 2 years) -> GPL

2. Modifying
Everyone should be able to freely modify the software with the following
conditions:
  . modified work must have the same license
  . renaming of the product and executables
  . if one wants to see his mods included in the main distribution he
    needs to transfer the copyright to the initial developer -> Artistic
  . distribution of mods like above

3. Non-Commercial use
Everyone should be able to use this software for any purpose in
non-commercial environments with no further restrictions

4. Commercial use
. Unlimited use of the software within the company for any purpose
. commercial modifications: company has to inform recipient of
  modification about initial developer

5. Warranty
The normal "no warranty stuff" ;)

I didn't found any license which fulfills all the above requirements. My
requirements are a freindly mix of the GPL, the Artistic License and
some other OSI-approved licenses.

Perhaps you know a solution for my licensing problem?

Otherwise, you should know that a friend of mine has written a license
on his own, which is not OSI-approved. Unfortunately neither he nor me
has enough money to pay a lawyer for a legal analysis which is required
by OSI during the approval process. Perhaps we can together find a
solution for this problem?

Thank you very much in advance &

kind regards from Germany

  --mkr
       M arkus KR ings

PS: Sorry for my bad English, but I am no native speaker :(