For approval: MirOS Licence Template (and question about others)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Oct 12 00:11:54 UTC 2004

Thorsten Glaser scripsit:

> With due respect, I would like the OSI to consider to
> certify the "MirOS Licence Template" as shown on
> http://wiki.mirbsd.de/LicenceTemplate or
> http://mirbsd.bsdadvocacy.org/cvs.cgi/~checkout~/src/share/misc/licence.template?rev=HEAD
> (the latter link is plain text), optionally (but not
> recommended) with an advertising clause in the following
> style:

In my judgment, this license is obviously Open Source (and Free)
and should be fast-tracked for OSI approval.

A few typos:  s/publically/publicly, s/commata/commas.  In
addition, there are some bad hyphenations: re-tained, not retai-ned;
addition-al, not additio-nal; temp-late, not templa-te.

> a) any derivate of the original UCB/BSD licence, with
>    clauses left out, or wording slightly changed (e.g.
>    by putting in one's name)

In general, no, except that you can replace ORGANIZATION, OWNER, and YEAR
with the correct values.  But omitting clauses, no.  The canonical version
for OSI purposes is at http://opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php .

> b) the following:
>
> # Copyright (c) 2003 ...
> # Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
> # purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
> # copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
> # (disclaimer from BSD licence)
>
> (see http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/share/misc/license.template?rev=HEAD

This is not the BSD license, but it is IMO Open Source, and should be
assigned a name and then fast-tracked for approval.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"If I have seen farther than others, it is because I am surrounded by dwarves."