AW: For Approval: Some License Or Another

Mikko Valimaki mikko.valimaki at hut.fi
Tue Nov 30 11:30:05 UTC 2004

Axel Metzger wrote:

> You should have a look into the law review articles published in Germany and
> France during the last 2-3 years. Then you would know better than your Finish
> anonymous correspondent.

Ok, just my three Finnish anonymous cents:

- I think Larry is right and we shouldn't have any new licenses, which
only fix some notorious language etc issues without any functional
innovations
- I also think Creative Commons approach may be needed for content where
you have an average websurfer as the licensee who may not speak english
& may not understand the principles of free licensing. But I think we
can expect most software developers wherever they come from nowadays do
understand both english & the principles of open source
- This said I can but refer to the active discussion in Europe where
some experts think there are fundamental legal problems with open source
and others think there are not. I agree there are some problems
especially when you have consumers as licensees (and the question
becomes closer to CC) but in most cases the problem may be overstated
just like with software patents...

Regards,
Mikko