AW: AW: For Approval: German Free Software License

Bernhard Fastenrath bfastenrath at mac.com
Fri Nov 26 15:19:02 UTC 2004

Axel Metzger wrote:
> Bernhard.Fastenrath wrote:
>>What you are trying to establish in this paragraph is beside the point.
>
> Oops, are you the one to say what is to and what is beside the point?

No. I've just made a logical statement and explained in. You were
trying to establish something based on logical fallacies that are
sometimes considered proper argumentation in politics.

>>It sounds like a combination of an appeal to authority (*) with an
>>appeal to the number of universities/institutes involved (+). You are
>>adding the argumentation "others are doing worse" as an excuse that
>>isn't logically or ethically valid either.
>>
>>(*) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_authority
>>(+) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_the_majority
>
> To sum it up: I was adding an argument on political feasibility and
> opportunities to the already made arguments.

OSI is not a political organisation. I don't think politics should
have a place here.

>>IMHO, OSI cannot offer a compromise. You're logically not fulfilling
>>the requirements and now you want to bend the rules, using logical
>>fallacies as argumentation.
>
> If the requirements are fulfilled is not a pure question of logic. It's a
> process of interpretation with a margin.

You are asking OSI to give up a part of its authority. It think it
is preferrable to act like the French CNRS you mentioned. They are
not asking OSI to give up authority but they don't place themself
under the authority of OSI either. Why is this a requirement for
the GFSL at all?

--
www.citizens-initiative.org <http://www.citizens-initiative.org/>